Thursday, January 7, 2010

Avatar

James Cameron has boldly gone where no man has gone before. Go and see this movie, in 3D if possible (worth the extra charge). It is a memorable new sensory experience—as close to being there as is possible with today’s media.

I have to admit it, I was worried for James Cameron. I heard that after making generation-defining, box office record busting Terminator and Titanic, he was holing up for years to make this movie about blue video game creatures. “Oh, you poor, poor man,” I groaned inwardly, picturing another Waterworld. “You’re so out of touch with what people care about today.” But I am glad to be proven wrong. He touches so closely on the key issues of today that it is difficult to believe he started making this movie TEN YEARS AGO. I must remind myself to stop worrying about the possible misfortunes of world-famous millionaires.

Another person I worried about for no reason: Sam Worthington. “That guy’s kind of cute and he’s doing a great job. I hope he’s ready for the gigantic leap from nobody to superstardom. He has no idea what he’s in for,” I thought innocently, not realizing that this was Sam Worthington of Terminator: Salvation and thus no stranger to fame.

I am blathering on about technicalities because the movie is, as it should be, indescribable. The night scenes in the forest, the flying scenes, and the tree scenes are as captivating as any of the characters and as memorable as a trip to a new country.

Enjoy the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment